Thursday 17 November 2011

Introducing your subject librarian...

Hello, my name is Alison Scanlon, and I’m one of two Deputy Heads of our Library & Learning Resources service here at SMU. I’m based at the Dynevor Campus, and have been looking after the library requirements of Art & Design students and staff since the campus opened in 2005. Prior to that I was based at the Owen Library from January 2000, so I’ve worked for this organisation for quite a while now!

Qualification-wise, I have a joint-honours degree in Information & Library Studies with Education, and I’m also a CILIP Chartered Librarian and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. As well as working in the University sector, during my career to date I’ve also worked in a couple of libraries in the FE sector. In my current role, I’ve had the opportunity to meet the Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, singer/songwriter Cerys Matthews and author Joe Dunthorne! You never know who you might see in a library!

On a personal level, I’m married and live on the outskirts of Swansea with my husband and a recent addition to the family – a rescue kitten we’ve named ‘Hank’. In my spare time I like reading, gardening, eating out (who doesn’t!) and travelling - the attached photo was taken last December in Kitzbuhel, Austria on my first skiing trip. I also love nature, animals and am concerned about our environment. I’m on the University’s Environment Committee so hopefully am contributing to improvements on a local scale at least. I’m also on various Art & Design committees representing the library and liaising with staff and students.

So if you are an Art & Design student (or member of staff), and need any help using the library resources at the Griffith Library at Dynevor, or have any questions about our service please don’t hesitate to get in touch! I look forward to seeing you during this academic year.

No comments:

Post a Comment