Monday 24 February 2014

Desert Island Books


Image courtesy of: Exsodus / Free Digital Photos

Our 'Desert Island Books' series continues this week with contributions from Assistant Librarian Philippa Price who is based at our Townhill Library and looks after the information needs of students and staff within the Education department. If you'd like to contribute your desert island favourites it's not too late - email them to me samantha.scoulding@sm.uwtsd.ac.uk


If you were stranded on a desert island which 4 books would you like to have with you and why?

The Princess Bride – An easy choice! I always find it difficult to name one favourite book, but if I had to, it would be this one! I could never get bored of reading this book, so it would be a good one to bring along.

Complete Works of Jane Austen – Ok, so this is a bit of a cheat, but if I’m going to be stuck on this desert island for a while I’m going to need more than four books! And Austen’s novels are available in one volume, so there! This choice probably speaks for itself – witty, timeless classics with charming heroines and some rather lovely heroes, as well as a few bounders to liven things up!  

Lord of the Rings – Another tactical choice here, as this is actually three books in one, though more commonly available in one volume these days. This will be the perfect complement to all that Jane Austen – once I’ve had my fill of turns around the drawing room and all those dances, I can turn to Tolkien for some adventure and strife!

Emotionally Weird – I love all of Kate Atkinson’s books, but this is probably my favourite. Definitely one to read again and again!

If you could bring one of the characters to life, for company, who would you choose and why?

Hmmm, a tricky one this. Not sure any of the Austen lot would cope in the wild, so I’ll discount them. Nora or Effie from Emotionally Weird might be good for some stories, but maybe not for too long! I’m tempted by the wonderful Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride – brave, loyal and true – but I fear he’d be a little intense for a desert island. I think I’ll go with Aragorn (especially if he looks like Viggo Mortensen in the films!), who would be more than capable of sorting out a fire, shelter and food, but is a little more taciturn than Inigo and probably easier company in a confined space!

You can have one luxury item on the island with you…what would it be?

One of those blankets with sleeves to keep me warm at night. Since it’s a luxury item, I’d have to make sure to bring one with a foot pocket for extra toastiness!

You are rescued and can only take one book back with you…which one would you pick?

The Princess Bride – I could never leave that book behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment