Thursday 6 October 2011

Introducing your subject librarian...



Hi, my name is Sam Scoulding and I'm an Assistant Librarian here at the Owen Library on the Mount Pleasant campus. I look after the subject areas of Leisure, Tourism & Sport, Public Services, and Health...so I have plenty of variety! I've been working here for 15 years now (not that I'm counting!) but I haven't always been a librarian...


Having got my B.A (Hons) degree in English Literature from Swansea University in 1996, I first started off as a Library Assistant for Swansea public library service, working in Gorseinon, Pontarddulais, and eventually Swansea Central Library. That was followed by 8 years as a Library Assistant here at SMU (or Swansea Institute of Higher Education as it was then!) until I eventually decided to take the plunge and study for my Postgraduate Diploma in Information and Library Studies as a distance learner with Aberystwyth University. During that time I worked as a Trainee Assistant Librarian here, before I finally qualified in December 2008. So having done my fair share of studying, I like to think I'm in a good position to understand what our SMU students are going through!


Outside of work I enjoy going to the cinema, theatre, walking, and travelling to new places - just as well since I'm a tourism librarian. In fact, I've just got back from a fantastic trip to Croatia and have already got holiday brochures for next year! I could probably get struck off as a librarian for saying this but, I'm not an avid reader...unless you count celebrity gossip magazines!! I am, however, a big fan of social media and am very active on Facebook and Twitter, and also contribute to our official library blog.


So, that's me! Pop in and say 'hi' sometime soon, I look forward to meeting you.

No comments:

Post a Comment